For Patients & Visitors
Day surgery patients
Monash House Private Hospital features a Day Surgery Unit, which provides a comfortable environment for patients having procedures that do not require an overnight stay in hospital.
- Bathe or shower
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing
- Do not wear makeup or jewellery, other than a wedding ring
- Unless otherwise instructed, do not eat or drink 6 hours prior to surgery (this includes chewing gum)
- Do not smoke or drink alcohol for 24 hours prior to admission
- If you are taking medication and are unsure about whether to take these prior to surgery, please contact your admitting doctor.
What to bring
On the day of admission please bring:
- Any letter(s) from your doctor relating to your procedure
- Details of Health Insurance Membership
- Medicare Card
- Pharmaceutical, Pension or Veteran Affairs entitlement card
- A list of current medications
- Cash / Credit Card to pay out of pocket expenses on admission (Excess or Co-payments)
- X-rays if applicable
- Glasses and physical aids (e.g. walking sticks, hearing aids)
- You will not be able to drive for 24 hours if you have had sedation or a general anaesthetic. Please arrange for a responsible adult to drive you home or accompany you in a taxi.
- Before you leave the hospital:
- Our staff will provide you with post procedure instructions including medications, dressings and follow up appointments.
- Please go via reception to be discharged and finalise the account.